Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Learning Git

2009-09-11 11:10:24
Subject: [Bacula-users] Learning Git
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "bacula-devel" <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:07:51 +0200
Hello,

I see that some of the developers such as Eric, Lorenz, and Marco (and
probably others) have picked up on git quite well, but unfortunately, some of
the you are having difficulties learning it from the feedback that I have
received.

First I have to say that Git is indeed harder to learn than svn, and it is
significantly more complicated, though the very basic commands are not really
any more complex than svn.  On the other hand, for developing and integrating
where there is a lot of collaboration, Git (in my opinion) is many, many
times better than svn in practically all respects.

In any case, our source code is now switched to Git, and we will shortly be
converting the remaining parts (docs and rescue) from svn to Git as well.

To encourage developers to learn Git and to use it, we (the project) would
like to make the following offer:

If you are an active Bacula contributor (signed an FLA or in the AUTHORS file)
and plan to send us something in the next 6-12 months, the project will be
happy to purchase a copy of a Git book and send it to you.

A few restrictions:
- You have to be an active contributor (sent something in at least the last
year and plan to send this year).
- The books will be sent from Amazon
- You must cover any possible customs expenses
- You can choose any reasonably priced git book
- We reserve the right to limit this to a maximum of 20 contributors
- Amazon *may* refuse to ship to some countries because of US embargos. I'll
try but if it is refused, sorry there isn't much I can do about that.

The way it works:
- Tell me you are interested and send me your exact name and mailing address
- You tell me what Git book you want
- I approve your request
- I order the book you want

Books I have read:
- Pro Git by Scott Chacon, Appress.  This is by far my preferred book of the
three.  It has an ebook version at www.apress.com, but the project will be
happy to pay for it.

- Version Control with Git, by Jon Loeliger, O'Reilly. This is a good book
with a lot of reference material.

- Pragmatic Version Control Using Git, by travis Swicegood, The Pragmatic
Bookshelf.  One of the two worst books I have every read.  Not at all
recommended.

Please note that I will be away from Sunday until next Thursday, so there may
be a bit of a delay in answering your requests.

Hopefully this will help those that need it get over the steep Git learning
curve and be a small form of thank you and a way to get deeper into Git for
those of you who are already able to use Git.

Best regards,

Kern