Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 3.0.2 Packages for Solaris and OpenSolaris

2009-09-11 10:35:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 3.0.2 Packages for Solaris and OpenSolaris
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale AT activenetwerx DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:32:01 +0000
>I always compile from source on production Solaris 9 & 10 machines.

I learned my lesson ages ago with doing such things on with
distros that utilize a package manager (even though Solaris 10's is
worth sh!t). From that day forward I try my hardest to always use the
package manager, and it looks like I might have to learn to how to
make SVR4/IPS packages now as well... So much to do, so little time:)

>Otherwise, I'm stuck with old packages and missing the latest security
>updates.

That's the point with a solid distro, sec fixes etc are back ported and
patched in. I couldn't even fathom trying to know the implications of
changing core libraries and apps on an enterprise system, that kind of
feat takes the man power of a large company. Do you actually know what
happens to all the apps that get affected by the different deps newer
apps call for? I can say I sure as hell don't:)

As far as I see it (like you), Bacula isn't all that integrated and vulnerable
but I still hate to bypass the package mangler. In addition to that, I always
mitigate my exposure with iptables(Linux) and limit whatever is open to only
what it needs to be.

jlc