Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] persistant drive letters under Windows

2009-09-02 03:41:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] persistant drive letters under Windows
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Josh Fisher" <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>, "Thomas Mueller" <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 17:35:17 +1000

> A partition does not have to be assigned a drive letter at all, as it
> turns out. It can be mount at a directory in a NTFS filesystem tree.
> Similar to *nix, except that instead of a single root, Windows has a
> multiple root file system tree. Each drive letter is a root. The root
> containing the mountpoint directory has to be NTFS, but the partition
> itself can have a FAT32 or any other filesystem for which there is a
> filesystem driver installed. That's the only way I've gotten drives to
> consistently be mounted at the same place. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889.

The problem with the 'mountpoint' approach is still that setting drive#2
to mount a the same place as drive#1 overwrites the system's idea of
where drive#1 should have been mounted.

I hacked up a changer script in vbs that did what I wanted - the .cmd
one that is supplied with the windows install just didn't want to work
for me - it got confused by quotes etc.

James