Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] persistant drive letters under Windows

2009-09-01 13:57:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] persistant drive letters under Windows
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 13:32:17 -0400
Thomas Mueller wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 17:26:45 +1000, James Harper wrote:
>

>> I am running the bacula-sd on windows and using removable USB drives as
>> the backup media. There are currently 3 disks labelled DISK001, DISK002,
>> and DISK003. On each disk are volumes labelled the same as the disk but
>> with a letter suffix, eg DISK001A, DISK001B, DISK001C, etc
>>
>> I plug the USB drive in and it defaults to F:. I then assign it to be
>> V:, but when I swap disks over for the next backup, the new disk becomes
>> F:, presumably because the system now has a new disk assignment for V:
>> which invalidates the previous one.
>>
>> Is there a way around this to have multiple removable drives all assign
>> to the same letter as long as only one is plugged in at once?
>>

> maybe this tool is for you:
> http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html
>
> "many" years ago i used another one, but can't find it anymore.

A partition does not have to be assigned a drive letter at all, as it
turns out. It can be mount at a directory in a NTFS filesystem tree.
Similar to *nix, except that instead of a single root, Windows has a
multiple root file system tree. Each drive letter is a root. The root
containing the mountpoint directory has to be NTFS, but the partition
itself can have a FAT32 or any other filesystem for which there is a
filesystem driver installed. That's the only way I've gotten drives to
consistently be mounted at the same place. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889.