Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula backups and restores

2009-08-31 13:40:28
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula backups and restores
From: tqz <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:36:27 -0400
Hmm...I dont like the fact that if my server and nas devices are all damaged in
a fire (for example) then my off site backup copy (the encrypted tape) is
useless to me! I dont see the point of having the offsite copy, if what is
saved on the tape cant be restored! I'm no system admin, or have any experience
in other backup software so dont know if this is the case with them as well or
if this is just a down point for using bacula.

My boss would like the tapes encrypted as there may be confidential data on the
tapes so encrypting the tapes is a requirement for him. Is there any way that I
could keep the bacula catalog unencrypted on the same tape? Is this possible to
specify in the config files? Or is this being illogical as then anyone can
restore the data if they have knowledge on bacula even if the other contents on
the tape is encrypted...or is just sending a dump of the bacula catalog via
email or to an off site location the only option if we encrypt the tape....

Many thanks in advance
t.