Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] question about FD Connect Timeout

2009-08-31 11:20:41
Subject: [Bacula-users] question about FD Connect Timeout
From: uhog-v9e4 AT spamex DOT com
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:20:03 -0400
Hi,

I am using Bacula 3.0.2(all components) on Ubuntu 9.04 to backup several
clients. A few of these are Windows XP laptop clients which may get booted up
for a short period, then the lid closed after the user has done some simple
things like checking email, etc. Closing the lid will put the laptop in
hibernate mode.

My problem is when this happens after the job is started but before it is
finished, it seems to "hang" in running mode. Example:
*s dir
Running Jobs:
Console connected at 31-Aug-09 08:17
Console connected at 31-Aug-09 08:18
Console connected at 31-Aug-09 11:06
 JobId Level   Name                       Status
   242 Increme  win-v2-backup.2009-08-31_09.00.00_05 is waiting on max Storage
jobs
   244 Increme  tlap-backup.2009-08-31_09.00.00_07 is running
   245 Increme  n610c-backup.2009-08-31_09.00.00_08 is waiting on max Storage
jobs
====

*llist jobid=244
       SchedTime: 2009-08-31 09:00:00
       StartTime: 2009-08-31 10:02:41
         EndTime: 0000-00-00 00:00:00

I have the following settings in my dir.conf file
director
  FD Connect Timeout = 20 mins

job
  Max Start Delay = 43200
  Reschedule On Error = yes
  Reschedule Interval = 2 mins
  Reschedule Times = 36

My goal here is that if one job is unable to complete like this, then it would
simply abort after 20 minutes allowing the next job to start running and the
job that aborted would get rescheduled and perhaps catch the user online next
time.

This works as expected as long as the job has not transitioned to the "running"
state, ie as long as it is "waiting" then after 20 minutes it will abort and
reschedule but after it starts running I'm not sure how long it will hang
around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike Chisholm