Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula backups and restores

2009-08-13 14:08:22
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula backups and restores
From: tqz <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 06:13:11 -0400
Hello all

Lets say in the event that disaster strikes and all data on my server is lost
for whatever reason. I have encrypted backups of the data on the server stored
on tapes (on and off site) and NAS.

After reinstalling my database management system, and then firing up bacula
using copies I have of the director, client and storage daemon files how can I
then read the catalog from the encrypted tape. Is there any way I can test this
without overwriting the bacula database. Also is there a way to read files
(the director, storage and daemon) off the encrypted storage and then restoring
them using bacula command line tools or non bacula command line tools?.or am I
not making any sense?!?

Second thing is that I am noticing that the size of the backups on my different
storage devices are different. So for example the first backup occurs on the
tape and the size of the backup is 14.09gb, then on my second storage device it
will be 14.12gb and my third one is 14.16gb. They are all full backups ??? Any
idea why there may be different sizes....

Thanks for any help in advance!!!