Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Job_Name is waiting on Storage Storage_Name

2009-08-26 17:23:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Job_Name is waiting on Storage Storage_Name
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Xavier Romero <XRomero AT nexica DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:18:29 -0400
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Xavier Romero<XRomero AT nexica DOT com> wrote:
>>> I'm just installed and set up Bacula, and there is one last issue I'm being
>>> unable to fix.
>>>
>>> It is that I can't achieve concurrency, and director says something like
>>> "Job_Name is waiting on Storage Storage_Name"
>>>
>>> For diferent jobs on different clients.
>>>

>>> However, I've set up
>>>
>>> Director configuration:
>>>  Maximum concurrent jobs=100 #on director resource
>>>  Maximum concurrent jobs=20 #on storage resource
>>>  Maximum concurrent jobs=5 #on client resource
>>>  Maximum concurrent jobs=5 #on Job resource
>>>
>>> Storage configuration:
>>>  Maximum concurrent jobs=50 #on storage resource
>>>

>>> My configuration is
>>> - Bacula 3.0.2
>>> - Single catalog on PostgreSQL
>>> - Director and Storage daemons (and postgresql) on that same server
>>> - 4 clients and 4 pools, each client on a different pool
>>> - Single storage on File type (1TB space iscsi-mounted on a SAN box)
>>>

>>> What could be wrong?
>>> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks you very much !!
>>>

>>Do the jobs that you want to run concurrently go to different pools?
>>
>>John
>
> I've intentionally set each client-job to different pool, so i have
>
> Client A, client B, client C and client D
> Job A, job B, job C, job D (job A belongs to client A, and so on)
> Pool A, pool B, pool C, pool D
>
> Job A is set to pool A, job B set to pool B, and so on...
>
> And that way I get the message
> "Job_B is waiting on Storage Storage_Name"
> While Job_A is running.
>
> Is that a restriction on File storage, or may I set some ohter parameter
> somewhere?

Yes there is a restriction... The restriction on file storage is the
same as on tape and dvd. I mean only one volume and thus pool can be
loaded to a storage device at the same time. So to have any chance at
concurrency you need to create more than 1 file storage device even
though the physical storage is the same. A more advanced setup would
be using the virirtual disk changer in addition to having multiple
file storage devices.

John