Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: FileStorage configuration and rotation

2009-08-10 11:59:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: FileStorage configuration and rotation
From: Bernd Schoeller <bernd.schoeller AT comerge DOT net>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:55:19 +0200
On 8/10/09 5:22 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>> My questions:
>>
>> - Backing up everything into a single file seems dangerous:
>
> I would never use a single volume. This is user configurable. Look at
> the following documentation:
> http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

Thanks - this is all very helpful. Specially the LabelFormat stuff is
really nice. I was afraid that I had to create a number of "backup
media" files upfront.

[...]

>> I have browsed through the archives - I bet the answer is there -, but I
>> have not found any support for setting up a good FileStorage-based
>> configuration. Most examples use tapes, where rotation and reuse is much
>> more obvious.
>
> I know its there dozens of times because I have replied dozens of
> times about that. It may be hard to find because you need to know the
> correct search terms though...

That is what I guessed, the search terms were missing (I had never
connected my problem with the word "recycling"). The interface for the
list archives are not helpful, either. Thank you again for providing the
pointers.

Bernd

--
Bernd Schoeller, PhD, CTO, Partner