Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: FileStorage configuration and rotation

2009-08-10 11:25:48
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: FileStorage configuration and rotation
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:22:08 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] FileStorage configuration and rotation
To: Bernd Schoeller <bernd.schoeller AT comerge DOT net>

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Bernd
Schoeller<bernd.schoeller AT comerge DOT net> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I am currently setting up a backup strategy and I am very happy that I
> have discovered bacula. It looks like a tool much superior to what we
> are currently using and it has decent quality and good documentation.
> Thanks!
>
> We are backing up to a rather large (6 TB) RAID hard-disk. I have
> created a directory and I am using the following configuration for the
> bacula-sd:
>
> Device {
>  Name = FileStorage
>  Media Type = File
>  Archive Device = /store/bacula-pool
>  LabelMedia = yes;
>  Random Access = Yes;
>  AutomaticMount = yes;
>  RemovableMedia = no;
>  AlwaysOpen = no;
> }
>
> I have now create a label called 'Main' with the console and now
> everything gets backed up to /store/bacula-pool/Main.
>
> My questions:
>
> - Backing up everything into a single file seems dangerous:

I would never use a single volume. This is user configurable. Look at
the following documentation:
http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

> what happens
> if a file gets corrupted?

You will loose everything after the point of the corruption.

> - How does it work with reusing the HD space once the HD becomes full?

Recycling is an entire volume or nothing. You need fix your
configuration so that you limit your volume size (use duration, number
of jobs ..) so that recycling can work.

> - Is a rotation possible within a single archive file? How can I
> otherwise rotate the archives?

No.

> - Is it possible to have bacula create a single file per backup?

Yes.
Use volume once

> - Is it possible to access the archive from the command line to see its
> contents (simular to using 'tar')?

bls

> I have browsed through the archives - I bet the answer is there -, but I
> have not found any support for setting up a good FileStorage-based
> configuration. Most examples use tapes, where rotation and reuse is much
> more obvious.

I know its there dozens of times because I have replied dozens of
times about that. It may be hard to find because you need to know the
correct search terms though...

John

--
John M. Drescher