Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] FileStorage configuration and rotation

2009-08-10 11:01:34
Subject: [Bacula-users] FileStorage configuration and rotation
From: Bernd Schoeller <bernd.schoeller AT comerge DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:26:05 +0200
Dear List,

I am currently setting up a backup strategy and I am very happy that I
have discovered bacula. It looks like a tool much superior to what we
are currently using and it has decent quality and good documentation.
Thanks!

We are backing up to a rather large (6 TB) RAID hard-disk. I have
created a directory and I am using the following configuration for the
bacula-sd:

Device {
  Name = FileStorage
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /store/bacula-pool
  LabelMedia = yes;
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
}

I have now create a label called 'Main' with the console and now
everything gets backed up to /store/bacula-pool/Main.

My questions:

- Backing up everything into a single file seems dangerous: what happens
if a file gets corrupted?
- How does it work with reusing the HD space once the HD becomes full?
- Is a rotation possible within a single archive file? How can I
otherwise rotate the archives?
- Is it possible to have bacula create a single file per backup?
- Is it possible to access the archive from the command line to see its
contents (simular to using 'tar')?

I have browsed through the archives - I bet the answer is there -, but I
have not found any support for setting up a good FileStorage-based
configuration. Most examples use tapes, where rotation and reuse is much
more obvious.

It would be great, if you could point me to some documentation or
describe how you have setup your FileStorage based bacula-sd host.

Thanks for any help,
  Bernd

--
Bernd Schoeller, PhD, CTO, Partner