Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Disk-to-disk backups and the scratch pool

2009-04-13 12:37:11
Subject: [Bacula-users] Disk-to-disk backups and the scratch pool
From: James Chamberlain <jamesc AT exa DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:09:06 -0400
Hi Bacula Users,

I'm having trouble with scratch pools.  I have a three main backup
pools configured in Bacula (Desktops, Infrastructure, Servers).  Each
corresponds to a separate RAID device (disk0, disk1, disk2), for disk-
to-disk backups.  I have added a fourth RAID device (disk3) which I
want to act as a scratch pool to catch overflow if any of the three
main pools fill up, but it doesn't seem to be working.  The volumes
appear to be there, but Bacula won't use them.

The only theories I've been able to come up with as to why is that the
volumes in the Scratch pool have a different media type (Disk3) than
that of the other pools (Disk0, Disk1, and Disk2, respectively), and
that Bacula can't literally move the volume Disk3-0001 to the disk0
device (it being full and all).  Assuming either of these theories is
correct, is there any easy way to fake Bacula out and get it to Do
What I Want(tm)?  If the theories aren't correct, does anyone have a
better idea what's going on, or is there more information I can
provide that would help?  I'm using bacula-mysql-2.4.3-1.

Thanks,

James