Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Feature request: relative rentention times

2009-04-13 12:26:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Feature request: relative rentention times
From: Victor Hugo dos Santos <listas.vhs AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:22:34 -0400
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Kevin Keane <subscription AT kkeane DOT com>
wrote:

[...]

>  Notes:  This feature may only makes sense for jobs and files, maybe not for
> volumes.
>         I haven't fully thought through the implications yet.
>         The interaction between "Keep Copies" and "Volume Retention"
>         needs to be defined.
>         A possible alternate implementation might be to have a relative
>         retention time instead of the number of copies: keep a backup until
>         two days after the next full backup. I believe that "Keep Copies" is
>         better, though, because the relative retention time mechanism would
> not
>         allow for an easy mechanism to specify that you want to keep several
>         full backups before expiring the oldest one.

well, yesterday I was thinking about this theme and the idea is great.
but, exist a problem, for example:

imagine if I have a backup retention period of 6 months (for full
backup for example) and I setup director to run 1 full backup on month
(in six months I have 6 backup):

      - if for any motive I run a manual full backup and I have
configured Keep Copies in 6. so, the director mark the first backup as
purged/pruned. and now, I have 2 full backups of this months and 5
full backups of last 5 months

       - If I run a 4 manual backups in the same day. Now I have 4
full backup of the same day and 2 full backups (one of this month and
other of 2 moths ago).

and if I need restore a job/file of 3 o more moths ago ??

understand ?

salu2

Victor Hugo dos Santos
Linux Counter #224399