Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Disk-to-disk backups and the scratch pool

2009-04-13 18:05:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Disk-to-disk backups and the scratch pool
From: James Chamberlain <jamesc AT exa DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:02:26 -0400
>> Why would you ever want such a pool?  The only reason I can think
>> of is if
>> you have more pools than backup devices;
>
> Exactly what you said. I have 20 pools and 2 backup devices with my 2
> drive 24 slot autochanger.

Why so many pools?  Are you doing one per client?

>> but that's the opposite of the
>> problem I'm trying to solve.  I have more backup devices than
>> pools.  In
>> some sense, I want to have multiple devices within the same pool.
>> Ideally,
>> I'd like to have one of those devices in multiple pools.  I want
>> the volumes
>> and not the devices bound to the pool.  Each pool could then tag
>> any volumes
>> it uses with the correct pool label and return them to scratch when
>> they
>> expire.  That's that I was hoping for when I read the documentation
>> for the
>> scratch pool, though that interpretation is apparently incorrect.
>>
>> The basic problem for me is that I've hit the 8 TB file system size
>> limit
>> with ext3, and I don't have ext4 available to me yet.
>>
> I would use XFS over ext3. ext3 is horribly inefficient with large
> files.

That's not something I can change at this point.

>> With tape libraries,
>> you can keep adding more tapes to increase the size of your pool.
>> With
>> disk-based backups, once you've hit that 8 TB limit with ext3, you
>> can't.
>>  So if that's the problem I'm trying to solve, what are my options
>> with
>> Bacula?
>>

> Can you split your jobs up in some logical way so you can divide the
> storage in more than 1 part?

I think I have.  I have two 8 TB file systems and one 1.1 TB file
system.  My individual volumes on each of those file systems are only
50 GB.  I just have 160 of them per 8 TB file system and 20 on the 1.1
TB.  I have another 1.1 TB left over that I want to use if any of the
others fill up before old jobs expire.  As for splitting up the jobs,
I've broken them into desktop, server, and infrastructure pools.  Is
that what you were getting at?

Thanks,

James