Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] And You Thought YOU Have Maildir Problems With Indexing

2009-03-30 01:55:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] And You Thought YOU Have Maildir Problems With Indexing
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:51:18 +0200
mehma sarja wrote:
> MY SITUATION
>
> I can take your Megabytes and shame you with my 9,868,868 mostly Maildir
> files and 690.8 GB space they take up. Take that! It took 25 hours to
> transfer and is currently "indexing." Before I ramble on, here is some
> confguration info:

> WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!
>
> I have tweaked FreeBSD to run on all 4 CPU cores and tweaked PG
> (postgresql.conf) thus:
>
> # - Memory -
>
> shared_buffers = 10MB # min 128kB or max_connections*16kB
> temp_buffers = 10MB # min 800kB
> work_mem = 10MB # min 64kB
> maintenance_work_mem = 40MB # min 1MB
> max_stack_depth = 525kB # min 100kB

Some gurus in pg list give me the rule they use (for other work than bacula) I
have to do massive import
10 billions records in each 16 tables ( and next create an gist column ).

For them, the most efficient way is to allow (when possible) 20% of ram for the
shared buffers.
So for example on my dev box (centrino core 2) with 4Go ram with pae kernel
I use this

shared_buffers = 1024MB                  # min 128kB or max_connections*16kB
                                        # (change requires restart)
temp_buffers = 128MB                    # min 800kB
max_prepared_transactions = 10          # can be 0 or more
                                        # (change requires restart)
# Note:  Increasing max_prepared_transactions costs ~600 bytes of shared memory
# per transaction slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction).
work_mem = 512MB                                # min 64kB
maintenance_work_mem = 64MB             # min 1MB
max_stack_depth = 6MB                   # min 100kB

# - Free Space Map -

max_fsm_pages = 2048000                 # min max_fsm_relations*16, 6 bytes each
                                        # (change requires restart)
max_fsm_relations = 64000               # min 100, ~70 bytes each
                                        # (change requires restart)

I've got quiet some nice thoughtput with this iotop giving me pg running at the
full raw speed of the disk.
75MB/s with getting records in gis software after.
I've launch a vaccum full after the insert, and this one take very long time to
finish ( > 10 hours ).

you will get some more accurate information on the pg guru list if you explain
what you have (hardware,software),
and have to do.

--

     Bruno Friedmann