Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: bacula client on windows vista

2009-03-28 15:47:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: bacula client on windows vista
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:40:06 -0700
The short answer: bacula actually is doing the right thing here.

The long answer:

"Different filesystem" means that the directory is not at that place in
the file system, but rather mounted as a Windows join (roughly the
Windows equivalent of a Linux symbolic link or a mount). There are three
ways to get around it, but only one of them really is correct in this case.

You could set "onefs=no". Wrong solution, though.
You could add each of these directories explicitly to your file set.
Also the wrong solution, though.

Or you can ignore this message altogether. That is the correct solution.
These directories *should not* get backed up. The data in these
directories is actually somewhere else, and Windows just created these
joins for backwards compatibility. Otherwise, many old applications
would break.

For instance, in the list of errors below, you see that
"C:\Users\Default User" shows up. That is what the directory would have
been called in XP - in Vista, it simply points to C:\Users\Default
(which does not show up in the list below, although some of Default's
subdirectories do).

If you backed up these directories anyway, one of two things would
happen. Either, the files in these directories would get backed up
twice, bloating your backup and making restores difficult. Or you could
get an infinite loop, and bacula may error out altogether when the path
gets too long. This happens if there is a circular join, where one of
the joins points back to a parent directory. For instance, on a Windows
server, the Active Directory structure in the SYSVOL directory is
organized that way, and setting onefs=no would cause bacula to error out.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.