Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Question about Priorities and Maximum Concurrent Jobs

2009-03-24 14:35:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Question about Priorities and Maximum Concurrent Jobs
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho AT linpro DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:28:17 +0100
John Lockard <jlockard AT umich DOT edu> writes:

> But, priority also postpones any jobs of higher priority.
> If a job, of priority 20 is currently running and you start
> off several other jobs, with priorities of 10, 20 and 30, then
> the only jobs which will run concurrently will be the jobs
> of priority 20.  Once all the priority 20 jobs are complete,
> only then will jobs of other priorities be examined and run.
> In my example, after all of the P-20 jobs run, the P-10 jobs
> will run, followed by the P-30 jobs.

see the Allow Mixed Priority parameter, this lifts the restriction
somewhat.

I'd use scheduling to do prioritisation instead, though.  a single
second or minute is enough.  e.g., first schedule all Full jobs to run
at 23:00, then all Differential jobs at 23:01, and finally all
Incrementals at 23:02.  of course they won't actually start at that
time, they'll just be put in the queue, but this way you can order the
jobs however you like.

--
Kjetil T. Homme
Redpill Linpro AS - Changing the game