Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to run on Windows

2009-02-22 13:53:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to run on Windows
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:49:57 +0100
Kevin Keane wrote:
> Bruno Friedmann wrote:
>> Kevin Keane wrote:
>>
>>> For those of us using Windows to administer bacula, I found an easy way
>>> to run bat. Read up about it in the Wiki page at
>>> http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=hints_tips:bat_over_ssh_-_another_approach
>>>
>>> Basically, it's simple: install an X server on Windows, and then use SSH
>>> X11 forwarding to run bacula on the server with just the user interface
>>> running on Windows.
>>>
>>> Hopefully, it will help somebody!
>>>

>> I love the idea behind xming ...
>>
>> But as you certainly knows qt could be natively compiled for windows ( see
>> kde4 progress )
>> So now nokia as also released qt as lgpl, I'm pretty sure we can have a
>> native win bat version.
>>
>> Just need to find a volunteers capable of doing this.
>> ( not always the easy part :-) )
>>
> I'm thinking that these two approaches may well end up coexisting. Both
> have advantages and drawbacks. The main advantage of the xming approach
> is that it is something you can do right now. I didn't put it into the
> Wiki page, but you could even go a step further and create a
> single-click desktop icon to launch bat. Simply write a batch file that
> first starts xming and then establishes the putty connection, sending
> the command "bat" to the server.
>
> But there are other advantages. You don't have to forward any ports,
> just a plain SSH tunnel with X forwarding will do. That could
> potentially be a security benefit - fewer holes to poke into a firewall
> (if you are like me, iptables blocks even ports on the lo interface
> where the SSH tunnel would end).
>
> You don't have to configure the director password on the Windows
> machine. That could potentially be a security benefit when running on a
> laptop from a Starbucks.
>
> Easier to administer centrally. You only have to upgrade the Unix
> version of bat, and all Windows users who need it automatically have access.
>
> No risk of a version discrepancy if, say, the Windows maintainer at some
> point decided to pursue other interests. As long as there is an SSH
> client and an X server, it will work on Windows.
>
> Translates easily to other operating systems, too. As long as it
> understands SSH and has an X server available, you could make bat run on
> pretty much any device. Maybe even a smartphone.
>

> But something certainly can also be said for the native Windows client.
>
> That's what I like about open source - multiple solutions for similar
> problems instead of a one-size-fits-all approach, so you get to pick
> whatever works best for you.

I'm totally aproving all elements you describe.

I was thinking about people who can't (doesn't have the right to ) install a
linux server into their networks.
And have to run the full windows stack of bacula.
In this case a bat that's rocks would concurrence any "proprietary" backup
solution !
Killing the fact that bacula doesn't have a native gui ... ( I know which
advanced admin care about that )

Ming is a really nice solution, even for other thing that could easily replace
$$$ solution like reflexion.
One off my customer would really happy to learn about that.

--

     Bruno Friedmann