Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog backup best practices

2009-02-19 12:12:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog backup best practices
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Russell Sutherland <russ AT quist DOT ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:10:22 -0500
Russell Sutherland wrote:
> I have perused through the Catalog Maintenance section in the documentation:
>
> http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Catalog_Maintenance.html
>
> looking for some guidance on where to store the Catalog data from the
> Catalog Job. (This is the data which gets generated by the
> make_catalog_backup script.)
>
> I assume that it's OK to save the data from this job to tape. Given
> that one does not have tape, is it a good idea to store the data on a
> remote storage volume? By remote I mean on some other media on some
> other machine.

I would:

- dump the file to disk
- copy it (scp, rsync, etc) it to another machine
- include it in a daily backup

NOTE: Do not delete the dumped file after the daily backup.  Keep it
around on disk, for faster restore, if required.  This also makese it
easier to scp it elsewhere.

You might also want to keep the bootstrap file for the job which last
backed up the catalog.

--
Dan Langille