Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Offsite backup solution

2009-02-18 05:22:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Offsite backup solution
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:19:46 +0100
Hi,

18.02.2009 04:46, Jeff Dickens wrote:
> It was a couple of years ago I first brought this up.  I guess you and I
> are the only one who would find a cross-sd migration/copy useful.

I doubt that... I'd definitely find this interesting and some of my
customers would probably like to use that feature.

>  The
> answer I got was "not likely unless you're paying for it", which is
> certainly fair enough, but I also got the feeling that the idea wasn't
> well received in general, and that it probably wouldn't be easy to
> integrate into the main code base.

A while ago I talked about this with Kern and he stated it shouldn't
be too difficult. But as long as there are more pressing projects, he
would concentrate on those.

> I could be wrong of course.. In my
> world it would be ideal if I could copy jobs (yes, like rsync) from one
> SD to another during the day, with a bandwidth limit.
>
> I'll have to give the idea of rsyncing disk volumes themselves another look

That's just the point - a good part of the "missing" functionality can
be achieved with other, existing tools. I don't think you'll run into
serious problems, as long as you manually enforce using the right
device and pool when restoring.

Arno

> Berend Dekens wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After trying the new beta's which hold Copy Jobs support I discovered
>> that a copy job (just like a migration job) can only transfer data from
>> one storage pool to another within *the same* storage daemon. Because I
>> wanted to use this for offsite backups this won't work for me.
>>
>> I tried to get offsite backups by doing a local backup first to the
>> local SD and then another backup to the remote SD. This works fine when
>> backupping but when you need to recover data (and you are using
>> incrementals or differentials instead of full backups) the SD which you
>> told to perform the restore will most likely ask for backup volumes
>> which are part of the remote pool and remote SD. For some reason it
>> seems that bacula can't keep the pool data seperate so this way of
>> offsite backupping won't work (unless I missed an option somewhere).
>>
>> I now came up with a new plan: the offsite location has its own Bacula
>> backup system with a seperate director and clients. The local bacula
>> shares the storage daemon of the remote system (making scheduling a tad
>> tricky to prevent 2 directors wanting to run jobs on the same SD). If I
>> let the remote director backup the local systems, the data is completely
>> offsite (including database) - giving me what I want.
>>
>> The biggest problem here is redundancy: I need to configure both
>> directors for all clients (local and remote), all file sets used and add
>> new schedules. Besides that I reckon this would/should/could work -
>> right?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Berend Dekens
>>
>> P.S. Hasn't anybody created a graphical configuration program for bacula
>> yet? ^^

>> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San
>> Francisco, CA
>> -OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the
>> Enterprise
>> -Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source
>> participation
>> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source
>> code: SFAD
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H

>  Scanned by Google Message Security  - Leaving Seaman Paper

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
Sandstr. 6, 49080 Osnabrück