Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Offsite backup solution

2009-02-16 18:31:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Offsite backup solution
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 15:27:52 -0800
Berend Dekens wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After trying the new beta's which hold Copy Jobs support I discovered
> that a copy job (just like a migration job) can only transfer data from
> one storage pool to another within *the same* storage daemon. Because I
> wanted to use this for offsite backups this won't work for me.
>
> I tried to get offsite backups by doing a local backup first to the
> local SD and then another backup to the remote SD. This works fine when
> backupping but when you need to recover data (and you are using
> incrementals or differentials instead of full backups) the SD which you
> told to perform the restore will most likely ask for backup volumes
> which are part of the remote pool and remote SD. For some reason it
> seems that bacula can't keep the pool data seperate so this way of
> offsite backupping won't work (unless I missed an option somewhere).
>
> I now came up with a new plan: the offsite location has its own Bacula
> backup system with a seperate director and clients. The local bacula
> shares the storage daemon of the remote system (making scheduling a tad
> tricky to prevent 2 directors wanting to run jobs on the same SD). If I
> let the remote director backup the local systems, the data is completely
> offsite (including database) - giving me what I want.

I'm not sure if I quite follow what you are trying to accomplish, but it
seems to me that maybe rsync would be another option to accomplish
basically the same goal? Or am I way off base here?

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.