Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Finding performance issues

2009-02-13 16:03:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Finding performance issues
From: "(private) HKS" <hks.private AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:00:28 -0500
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 6:03 PM, (private) HKS <hks.private AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM, (private) HKS <hks.private AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Steve Polyack <korvus AT comcast DOT net>
>> wrote:

>>> You may want to expirement with the "Maximum Network Buffer Size" parameter
>>> which is available in both the file-daemon and storage-daemon configuration
>>> files. As far as the documentation explains, the SD's default is 32768 bytes
>>> while the FD default is 65536 bytes.  I'm not sure what the reason is for
>>> the difference, but I would try setting them both to either 32768 or 65536.
>>>  Perhaps try larger values, but stay under the limits of your OS's TCP
>>> send/recv buffers (256k s/r on FreeBSD 7).
>>>

>> Thanks for the recommendation. I've changed this around a bit, but
>> haven't seen any change. I also haven't been able to replicate this
>> poor performance through any other method of writing to disk,
>> transferring across the network, or some combination of the two. I'm
>> certainly open to doing tests on this if only I knew what to do.
>>
>> -HKS
>>

> I have discovered (what appears to be) a bug in OpenBSD's bnx(4)
> driver that limits tx performance.
>
> I don't *think* it's related to this problem: rx traffic performs
> beautifully and the threshold (109Mb/s) is far above what I'm getting
> with Bacula. I mention it in the interest of full disclosure.
>
> -HKS

I rebuilt one of my servers on FreeBSD 7.1 which is unaffected by this
bug and the performance issue persists. This pretty much eliminates
the OS as a problem here, so I guess we're looking at a hardware
oddity, some tuning knobs that need adjustment, or some combination of
the two.

-HKS