Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Backing up network drives with windows

2009-02-13 07:41:53
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Backing up network drives with windows
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sf DOT net
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 07:39:03 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bernd Plagge <bplagge AT choicenet.ne DOT jp>
Date: Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 7:35 AM
Subject: Re: Backing up network drives with windows
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:54:41 -0500
John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> > I'm not quite convinced - for two reasons
> > 1) I did some tests starting bacula-dir, bacula-sd, bacula-fd manually and
> > got the some results
> >
> You ran bacula-fd directly in a command window?
>
> > 2) The backup target is a TrueCrypt drive assigned to a drive letter
> >
> That will not work when run as a service. It may work when bacula-fd
> runs in in a cmd window as the logged on user.
>
> > If I used UNC paths what would the right syntax be?
> > References to start-before jobs etc are written as C:\\directory\program
> > while file sets are written with a forward slash. Which one would be the
> > correct synxtax.
>
> Use forward slashes.
>
> > I know how to check the number of files considered for backup using the
> > 'estimate' command but is there another way like a debug log?
> >
> Not that I know of.
>
> John

Hi John,

I did some more tests today.

Windows machine in questions is a Win 2000 server.
Services will use by default the local service user but a different
user can be configured.
It is also possible to keep desktop assignments.

The Windows versions of bacula-dir, bacula-sd and bacula-fd have
several command line switches one of them being '/debug'. I tried this
but it didn't produce any additional output. Maybe this is written to
a different log file? Does anybody have experience with this?

I tried to backup a HDD share without any permission limitations
(readable and writeable by everyone) but even that didn't work.
Because of missing debug output and error messages I don't have any
clue what is going on. Is it a permission problem (which it shouldn't)
or is it a syntax problem.

BTW, is there anything like strace for Windows?

Cheers,
Bernd

- --
Bernd Plagge - プラゲ ベェアント
First Choice Internet Ltd., Tokyo - ファースト・チョイス・インターネット(有)
Tel. 03-4500-7799 - Fax. 03-4400-3723
mail: bplagge AT choicenet.ne DOT jp - url: http://www.choicenet.ne.jp
                       *** Campaign ***
Affordable Web Sites http://choicenet.ne.jp/en/hpcampaign.html