Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Exchange + SQL Server

2009-02-08 18:07:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Exchange + SQL Server
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:32:48 -0800
It should work. But, since you are taking a snapshot of a live database,
you would basically have to do a crash-state recovery if you needed to
restore something. Also, this type of backup will only let you restore
the whole Exchange database, not individual Exchange mailboxes (you may
be able to get around that by restoring into a Recovery Storage group).
Similarly, you'd have a somewhat monolithic backup of each SQL Server
database.

If you need more control, you may want to look into a few alternative

- I've heard that there is an Exchange plugin for bacula. Since I'm not
using Exchange, I don't know about it, though. I don't know about SQL
Server, though - if you REALLY want it, you might be able to commission
it from Bacula Systems. That's how the Exchange plugin came about.
- You could use ntbackup (or the new Server 2008 backup) to back up
Exchange to local files, and then use bacula to back up those backup
files. This is the same approach you have to take with the System State
anyway. Drawback: it takes space on your disks.
- You could use the Exchange Exmerge tool to export individual Exchange
mailboxes to .PST files, and then back those up. There are several very
nice aspects about that solution.

I don't know enough about SQL Server, but in the end it's probably
similar - either use whatever backup tool it has (ntbackup as well?), or
find a way to export databases to flat files.

Ricardo Duarte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Bacula to backup all of my Linux servers and
> services to LTO4 tapes, and I think it's an amazing product.
> Now I want to backup my Windows servers.
> The question I have is:
> - Can I trust bacula to perform backups of SQL Server and Exchange on
> a production environment, using the Windows VSS client?
>
> Thanks.

> Get news, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com.
> Check it out! <http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx%20>

> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Kevin Keane
Owner
The NetTech
Find the Uncommon: Expert Solutions for a Network You Never Have to Think About

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.