Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Volumes with JBODs and RAID question

2009-02-07 14:42:12
Subject: [Bacula-users] Volumes with JBODs and RAID question
From: Mag Gam <magawake AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 14:40:22 -0500
Hello All,

We are planning to implement Bacula in our test lab for evaluation. On
our backup site we have 6 x 750GB disks and I was wondering if I
really need to RAID5 since this is a backup server. After skimming
thru Bacula's manual, I noticed there are  some sophisticated  volume
management techniques similar to TSM therefore  I was planning to use
each disk as a  volume and create a storage pool.  If the disk goes
bad, it should be labeled as 'bad volume' and naturally the data will
be gone. Once I get the disk replaced I would like bacula to rebackup
the stuff I missed -- I am not too concerned about revisions and
snapshots.  Is this possible?

My end goal is to use all of my storage and avoid RAID5 because it
takes an extra disk away and this data is not that important.

Any thoughts about this procedure?