Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using tape autochanger

2009-02-06 19:22:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using tape autochanger
From: Christopher Dick <jcdick1 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Brian Debelius <bdebelius AT intelesyscorp DOT com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 16:18:05 -0800 (PST)
----- Original Message ----

From: Brian Debelius <bdebelius AT intelesyscorp DOT com>
To: Christopher Dick <jcdick1 AT yahoo DOT com>
Cc: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Sent: Friday, February 6, 2009 10:28:51 AM

I think this:

>>Here is the storage related sections of -dir.conf in directory /etc/bacula:
Storage {
Name = LTO-2
Address = host.domain.com
SDPort = 9103
Password = host
Device = /dev/st0
Media Type = Ultrium2
}

Should be:

Storage {
Name = LTO-2
Address = host.domain.com
SDPort = 9103
Password = host
Device = Autochanger
Autochanger = yes
Media Type = Ultrium2
}

Christopher Dick wrote:
> [...]
> /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf.
> 05-Feb 16:39 btape JobId 0: Fatal error: butil.c:168 Cannot find device
> "autochanger" in config file /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf.
>
> When I run bconsole, I regularly get this:
>
> 3999 Device "LTO-2" not found or could not be opened.
>
> Here is the storage related sections of -dir.conf in directory /etc/bacula:
>
> Storage {
> Name = LTO-2
> Address = host.domain.com
> SDPort = 9103
> Password = host
> Device = /dev/st0
> Media Type = Ultrium2
> }
>
> Here is the Pool definition in -dir.conf
>
> Pool {
> Name = "Tape"
> Pool Type = Backup
> Volume Retention = 365 days
> Recycle = yes
> AutoPrune = yes
> Storage = LTO-2
> }
>
> And finally, here are the entries in -sd.conf from /etc/bacula:
>
> Autochanger {
> Name = Autochanger
> Device = LTO-2
> Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
> Changer Device = /dev/sg1
> }
>
> Device {
> Name = LTO-2
> Drive Index = 0
> Device Type = Tape
> Media Type = Ultrium2
> Archive Device = /dev/st0
> AutomaticMount = yes
> AlwaysOpen = yes
> RemovableMedia = yes
> RandomAccess = no;
> AutoChanger = yes
> LabelMedia = yes
> Spool Directory = /tmp/spool
> Maximum Spool Size = 700000000
> Random Access = no
> }
>
> dmesg has the following information:
>
> scsi 1:0:0:0: Medium Changer HP C7200 1720 PQ: 0 ANSI: 3
> scsi 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 8
> scsi 1:0:0:1: Sequential-Access HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F59W PQ: 0 ANSI: 3
> st 1:0:0:1: Attached scsi tape st0
> st 1:0:0:1: st0: try direct i/o: yes (alignment 4 B)
> st 1:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 1
>
> This is running on a dedicated backup server running openSUSE with Bacula
> v2.4.2, with an HP C7200 "Galactica" model tape library, upgraded to LTO-2.
> Currently it only has one drive, but will soon have two. Currently, Bacula is
> running as root (I will change that once I get this working), but I have
> chmod'd /dev/st0 /dev/nst0 and /dev/sg2 to 0777 just to be sure. I've tried
> using /dev/nst0 and /dev/sg2, the latter being what the HP Tape Tools reports
> as being the actual tape drive and matches dmesg, but nothing seems to go.
>
> Hopefully that is enough information. if not, I will be happy to provide
> anything else needed.
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I am so close to getting this working,

You were right.  That was definitely the issue.  I misunderstood the
documentation in regard to this.  Thanks for catching it!  My backups
are now working just fine, for the most part.  I will submit other
emails as questions arise, so as not to hijack this thread and take it away
from the simple subject and solution.

Thanks a bunch!

Chris