Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Using tape autochanger

2009-02-05 18:22:50
Subject: [Bacula-users] Using tape autochanger
From: Christopher Dick <jcdick1 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:20:43 -0800 (PST)
I will preface this with the usual "I am new to Bacula" statement before diving
into this.  I have Googled the errors, and looked at email threads and
attempted to get my configs to look like the ones in the documentation and in
the various forums and email threads.  But nothing seems to work.

Here is the issue:

When I run btape, I get the following:

 btape -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf autochanger
Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
btape: butil.c:278 Could not find device "autochanger" in config file
/etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf.
05-Feb 16:39 btape JobId 0: Fatal error: butil.c:168 Cannot find device
"autochanger" in config file /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf.

When I run bconsole, I regularly get this:

3999 Device "LTO-2" not found or could not be opened.

Here is the storage related sections of -dir.conf in directory /etc/bacula:

Storage {
  Name = LTO-2
  Address = host.domain.com
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = host
  Device = /dev/st0
  Media Type = Ultrium2
}

Here is the Pool definition in -dir.conf

Pool {
  Name = "Tape"
  Pool Type = Backup
  Volume Retention = 365 days
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Storage = LTO-2
}

And finally, here are the entries in -sd.conf from /etc/bacula:

Autochanger {
  Name = Autochanger
  Device = LTO-2
  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
  Changer Device = /dev/sg1
}

Device {
  Name = LTO-2
  Drive Index = 0
  Device Type = Tape
  Media Type = Ultrium2
  Archive Device = /dev/st0
  AutomaticMount = yes
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  RemovableMedia = yes
  RandomAccess = no;
  AutoChanger = yes
  LabelMedia = yes
  Spool Directory = /tmp/spool
  Maximum Spool Size = 700000000
  Random Access = no
}

dmesg has the following information:

scsi 1:0:0:0: Medium Changer    HP       C7200            1720 PQ: 0 ANSI: 3
scsi 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 8
scsi 1:0:0:1: Sequential-Access HP       Ultrium 2-SCSI   F59W PQ: 0 ANSI: 3
st 1:0:0:1: Attached scsi tape st0
st 1:0:0:1: st0: try direct i/o: yes (alignment 4 B)
st 1:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 1

This is running on a dedicated backup server running openSUSE with Bacula
v2.4.2, with an HP C7200 "Galactica" model tape library, upgraded to LTO-2.
Currently it only has one drive, but will soon have two.  Currently, Bacula is
running as root (I will change that once I get this working), but I have
chmod'd /dev/st0 /dev/nst0 and /dev/sg2 to 0777 just to be sure.  I've tried
using /dev/nst0 and /dev/sg2, the latter being what the HP Tape Tools reports
as being the actual tape drive and matches dmesg, but nothing seems to go.

Hopefully that is enough information.  if not, I will be happy to provide
anything else needed.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  I am so close to getting this working,
I can taste it.

Thanks!