Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Have I got it wrong or should this be a feature request?

2009-02-04 08:36:59
Subject: [Bacula-users] Have I got it wrong or should this be a feature request?
From: James Cort <james.cort AT u4eatech DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:33:10 +0000
Dear All,

I've been spending some time migrating jobs from an obsolete tape drive
which is connected to an SD on one server a few hundred miles away to a
rather newer tape unit connected to an SD on another server a few metres
away.

As far as I can gather, under 2.4.2 it isn't possible to directly
migrate data reading from one SD and writing to another.  Let me give
you an example of how I've worked around it, calling them SD1 and SD2.

A migration job does the following:
- Read the data from SD1
- Write it to a temporary staging pool (a file rather than a tape)
managed by SD1

Once that's complete, copy the files which make up the staging pool onto
the system where SD2 resides and update the database to reflect their
location in SD2.

Run another migration job which:

- Reads the data from the staging pool (which we've now copied to SD2)
- Writes it out to the tape managed by SD2.

Phew.

This leaves me with two questions:

1.  Is this the only realistic way to deal with the problem I originally
described?

2.  Am I the only one to have encountered such a problem?  (I'm not sure
 there's much point in submitting a feature request if I am because it
probably won't affect me again anyway).

James.
--
James Cort