Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] btape test error on (supported) QUANTUM DLT8000

2008-12-30 14:34:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] btape test error on (supported) QUANTUM DLT8000
From: Allan Black <Allan.Black AT btconnect DOT com>
To: Marco Poli <polimarco AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:29:54 +0000
Marco Poli wrote:
> After I got the drive, I  had to buy the DIFF stuff to use it. The Adaptec
> adaptor reads SCSI DIFF on the connector and the cable is a DIGITAL (part
> number BN38C-05), rather long, maybe 10m, but reads 300V SHIELDED TYPE CL2,
> so, I suppose it is the right thing. I did have connection problems (would
> get bogus characters in SCSI BIOS boot up) with some other cable, but after
> replacing for this one seemed solved. Terminator reads DIFFERENTIAL and has
> the Sun 4-S logo, with a green LDE lit when the host is online. I suppose
> this means it is an ACTIVE terminator, but I am not sure. The drive is alone
> on the BUS.

Hi Marco,

Sorry if you have already thought of this, but are you sure the drive is the
differential model? The DLT8000 is available with either LVD/SE or HVD SCSI
interfaces.

If the drive is LVD (low voltage differential), it will not work with a HVD
(high voltage differential) card, and the card may, in fact, damage the drive
because the signalling voltages used by HVD are higher than LVD/SE (the higher
voltage allows it to work reliably over a longer cable length).

If the drive, card or terminator say "DIFFERENTIAL" or "SCSI DIFF" on them,
then it means they are HVD (manufacturers started labelling equipment this way
a few years ago when there was no LVD to confuse the issue).

Allan