Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] btape test error on (supported) QUANTUM DLT8000

2008-12-29 12:54:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] btape test error on (supported) QUANTUM DLT8000
From: "Marco Poli" <polimarco AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Andrea Conti" <ac AT alyf DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:51:50 +0000

Hello Andrea and John!

After I got the drive, I  had to buy the DIFF stuff to use it. The Adaptec adaptor reads SCSI DIFF on the connector and the cable is a DIGITAL (part number BN38C-05), rather long, maybe 10m, but reads 300V SHIELDED TYPE CL2, so, I suppose it is the right thing. I did have connection problems (would get bogus characters in SCSI BIOS boot up) with some other cable, but after replacing for this one seemed solved. Terminator reads DIFFERENTIAL and has the Sun 4-S logo, with a green LDE lit when the host is online. I suppose this means it is an ACTIVE terminator, but I am not sure. The drive is alone on the BUS.

The dmesg idea was pretty good, I hadn't thought about it so far, but no SCSI error reports there either. :(

Would the drive reset and go offline (ready to remove the media) with a SCSI connection error?

I will probably try some other cables and terminators when I get back from new year's break... I hope that's the problem... I am not sure if I have run QUANTUM diagnostics tools with this particular configuration in that past, but I will get some windows system up to try it. This should detect possible connection problems, I suppose.

Thanks for the help so far!

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Andrea Conti <ac AT alyf DOT net> wrote:
Hi,

> dev open failed: dev.c:432 Unable to open device "DLT8000" (/dev/nst0):
> ERR=\
> Input/output error

Sounds like some kind of hardware (SCSI) problem, with the kernel driver
resetting the bus and losing the device at some point. Is your
cabling/termination ok?
Are there any error messages in the kernel log (dmesg)?

> Drive is a QUANTUM DLT8000, External operating on a DIFF SCSI
> connection. The adaptor shows as

> 00:09.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U/UW / AHA-39xx /
> AIC-7895 (rev 04)

Are you sure this controller can handle differential (LVD? HVD?) SCSI?

FWIW, I've been using a DLT8000 drive with bacula for the past two years
without a problem.

Andrea