Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of in one directory with 800.000 files

2008-12-03 14:18:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of in one directory with 800.000 files
From: "Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa" <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Tobias Bartel" <tbartel AT eteleon DOT de>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 14:46:02 +1930
Hi!

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Tobias Bartel <tbartel AT eteleon DOT de>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> sorry for my late response.
>
> I just finished migrating the catalog to a Postgre 8.1 Server and
> enabled spooling. Spooling space is 100GB, the horror directory only
> 70GB. I hope that both changes will give us a speed bump, well the
> Postgre should increase the performance and the spool dir should at
> least decrease the tapewear.

1. Did you optimized the PostgreSQL database to actually use the
server? (if you stick with defaults, you will see a bad performance
with many entries).
2. Please measure the speed of the spool space: if it is under 30MB/s,
it is not good for your LTO-3 drive.

I use these commands to give an approx of disk speed:

dd if=/dev/zero of=cosa.img bs=10M count=100 conv=fsync  (this gives
write performance)
dd if=cosa.img of=/dev/null bs=10M iflag=direct   (read performance).

> I just started another test, lets see how long it will take ;)

If everything is ok, it should take around 4 to 20 hours (max).

I hope this helps,

Ildefonso Camargo