Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with tape capacity

2008-11-28 22:19:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with tape capacity
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Willians Vivanco <williansvi AT infomed.sld DOT cu>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 03:16:30 +0000 (GMT)
Please reply to the list, not me personally. Other people may have the
problem now or in future and the archives are valuable resources.

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Willians Vivanco wrote:

> Willians Vivanco wrote:
> > Alan Brown wrote:

> > > Bacula-sd and btape usually run as bacula:tape - as a test set the
> > > /dev/nst devices world writeable and see if the error persists.

> > > This indicates a hardware problem.
> > >
> > > What about "mt -f /dev/nst0 status" ?
> > >
> > > Is your scsi chain terminated properly? What does the library interface
> > > say?
> > >
> > > I have a MSL6000 and it works perfectly under linux
> > >
> > > AB
> > >

> > What kernel? I'm using 2.6.18 with all lenny updates... It's a good
> > configuration?

2.6.18 on RHEL5 but it's worked fine for 5 years on various kernel
versions in Suse 8, 9, 10, RHEL4 and RHEL5

> Let me tell you a little detail... My bacula is running on a server blade and
> is connected with the MSL6000 through the hba interface using 2 similar zones,
> for redundance... Can be this important ?

No, this is similar to what I'm doing.

Just remember that linux "multipath" utilities only work for disk
entities, not for tapes or scsi generic devices.

I am using FC connections, but there is no logical difference between this
and scsi.

Have you tried using another drive? Our MSL6000 was supplied with _both_
LTO2 drives dead on arrival.

AB