Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of in one directory with 800.000 files

2008-11-28 07:59:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of in one directory with 800.000 files
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 04:50:55 -0800
This might be a totally off-the-wall idea, might not even work - or if
it does, it may not help in the end.

But how about doing your own "subdirectorying". Leave all 800,000 files
in the directory where they are - and create your own parallel directory
structure with subdirectories as you like. For instance, one per day.

Then write a script that creates links (maybe soft links will work, else
use hard links) from the original files into your subdirectories. You
will probably need to run this script daily. If you use hard links, you
may be able to use the reference count for the file to find out which
files have already been linked into your directory, so you can create
new links only for those files with a reference count of 1.

That way, the fax application will continue seeing the faxes where you
expect them, and at the same time you have the files organized in a
backup-friendly structure.

Now instead of backing up the single huge directory, back up the
directory structure you created yourself.

Whether this will work, I don't know; I'm just trying to be creative.
Maybe running this script and creating all the links will take 48 hours...

Tobias Bartel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am tasked to set up daily full backups of our entire fax communication
> and they are all stored in one single director ;). There are about
> 800.000 files in that directory what makes accessing that directory
> extremely slow. The target device is a LTO3 tape drive with an 8 slots
> changer.
>
> With my current configuration Bacula needs ~48h to make a complete
> backup which kinda conflicts with the requirement of doing dailys.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions on how i could speed things up?
>
> THX in advance - Tobi
>

> PS: I already talked to my boss and our developers and they will change
> the system so the faxes get stored in subdirectories. But changing that
> doesn't have a very high priority and got scheduled for next summer.

Kevin Keane
Owner
The NetTech
Turn your NetWORRY into a NetWORK!

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.