Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of in one directory with 800.000 files

2008-11-27 12:02:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of in one directory with 800.000 files
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:58:03 +0100
Hi,

27.11.2008 17:10, Tobias Bartel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am tasked to set up daily full backups of our entire fax communication
> and they are all stored in one single director ;). There are about
> 800.000 files in that directory what makes accessing that directory
> extremely slow. The target device is a LTO3 tape drive with an 8 slots
> changer.
>
> With my current configuration Bacula needs ~48h to make a complete
> backup which kinda conflicts with the requirement of doing dailys.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions on how i could speed things up?

A more or less identical question is discussed in the thread "Large
maildir backup" right now.

Without further details: Database tuning and using a file system
better handling many files in a directory are the ideas right now.

Regarding file systems, xfs works here quite well and is said to be
suitable for large directories.

Arno

> THX in advance - Tobi
>

> PS: I already talked to my boss and our developers and they will change
> the system so the faxes get stored in subdirectories. But changing that
> doesn't have a very high priority and got scheduled for next summer.

Then tell them that daily full backups of the fax system can be
scheduled for next autumn ;-)

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann