Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 2.4.2 vs 2.5.16 on CentOS

2008-11-15 08:39:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 2.4.2 vs 2.5.16 on CentOS
From: Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>
To: Nils Blanck-Wehde <nils.blanck-wehde AT backofficeservice DOT biz>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:36:41 -0500
Nils Blanck-Wehde wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm setting up a new bacula installation on CentOS 5.2.
> I planned on using the FSchwarz EL5 rpms because the install very well
> under CentOS 5.2
> Now I am wondering whether it's worth the hassle to compile 2.5.16 from
> source.
> Unforunately I am not a programmer so the changelog of 2.5.16 doesn't
> really tell me anything?
> Maybe someone  more involved can give me a hint here?
> Are there any 2.4.3 rpms that install under CentOS?
>
> I feel a little bad installing an outdated version....

2.4.3 isn't outdated - it's the latest stable version.  The 2.5 branch is
under development, so while it contains new features, it's also much more
likely to contain new bugs, too.  Odds are you'll want to stick to the stable
2.4 branch until the new stable branch is released, and avoid 2.5 except in a
testing environment.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken