Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula ignores Max Volume Jobs

2008-11-15 06:51:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula ignores Max Volume Jobs
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 03:47:43 -0800
Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 01:23 -0800, Kevin Keane wrote:
>
>> I'm using Bacula to back up 8 servers to a pool on a hard disk. To make
>> management somewhat easier, I configured bacula to create a new volume
>> (i.e., file) for each job. In the past, I only allowed one backup job to
>> run at a time (Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1) and everything worked
>> beautifully.
>>
>> Today, I tried to speed up my backups by allowing multiple concurrent
>> backup jobs. Sure enough, the backups completed much faster - but
>> apparently multiple jobs now ended up in the same volume, despite the
>> Max Volume Jobs setting.
>>
>> Is this a bug? If so, is it something that has already been reported
>> and/or fixed? I'm using 2.4.2.
>>

> Hi,
>
> It is documented, read the "Maximum Volume Jobs" description at:
> http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION0014150000000000000000
>
> Ulrich

Ah! Thanks. In other words, there is a race condition. Is there a
workaround (other than foregoing concurrent jobs)?

Also, can you add a fix for this to the wishlist for bacula 3?

BTW, it seems that the actual behavior may be even worse than
documented. The documentation says that jobs may fail - but mine all
succeeded. According to the log file, they probably clobbered the
volume. Several of the jobs not only report that they are going to use
the same volume, but also that they are *overwriting* the same volume. I
see the following in the log for five separate backup jobs
(interestingly, only one says "wrote label..." - the other ones just
mark it as purged again and recycle it).

(in only one job)

14-Nov 23:05 xxx-dir JobId 568: There are no more Jobs associated with Volume
"bacula0420". Marking it purged.
14-Nov 23:05 xxx-dir JobId 568: All records pruned from Volume "bacula0420";
marking it "Purged"
14-Nov 23:05 xxx-dir JobId 568: Recycled volume "bacula0420"
14-Nov 23:05 xxx-dir JobId 568: Using Device "eSATADisk3"
14-Nov 23:05 xxx-sd JobId 568: Labeled new Volume "bacula0420" on device
"eSATADisk3" (/misc/BACKUP3).
14-Nov 23:05 xxx-sd JobId 568: Wrote label to prelabeled Volume "bacula0420" on
device "eSATADisk3" (/misc/BACKUP3)
14-Nov 23:05 xxx-dir JobId 568: Max Volume jobs exceeded. Marking Volume
"bacula0420" as Used.

(in all other jobs)
14-Nov 23:05 xxx-dir JobId 573: There are no more Jobs associated with Volume
"bacula0420". Marking it purged.
14-Nov 23:05 xxx-dir JobId 573: All records pruned from Volume "bacula0420";
marking it "Purged"
14-Nov 23:05 xxx-dir JobId 573: Recycled volume "bacula0420"
14-Nov 23:05 xxx-sd JobId 573: Recycled volume "bacula0420" on device
"eSATADisk3" (/misc/BACKUP3), all previous data lost.
14-Nov 23:05 xxx-dir JobId 573: Max Volume jobs exceeded. Marking Volume
"bacula0420" as Used.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.