Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] director/sd multiple addreses

2008-11-12 03:34:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] director/sd multiple addreses
From: Ronald Buder <rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:30:36 +0100
Mikel Jimenez Fernandez wrote:
> Ronald Buder wrote:

>>> Search the users list archives for a thread entitled 'What new
>>> features are you waiting for?', between the 3rd and 7th of this
>>> month. Among other things, this topic is discussed.
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>> I would go about this using a dyndns provider. This really shouldn't
>> be much of a deal. Have the clients update their ip through dyndns
>> whenever they go online. There are several handy tools out there for
>> that task, such as ddclient.
>>
>> Routing or firewall issues might be more of a problem depending on the
>> ISPs, the roaming clients use...
>>
>> Hope that helps
>>

> So... no solution?
Why yes! Like I said above, for clients with changing public IPs I'd use
dynamic dns.
> is not posible to one directo ror storage daemon have
> multiple ip addresses?

Yes it is and quite simply too. This can be done in your storage
resource. Instead of using an IP address you may also use a hostname or
fqdn. The rest is a bunch of dns-voodoo. In our case we just put the
correct IP into /etc/hosts. We run the same sd in roundabout 20 VLANs
these days using this technique. Whenever we set up a new client we add
the correct VLAN-interface of the bacula-server to the clients
/etc/hosts (for windows it's c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and
works just as well).

Hope this helps