Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Antw.: Re: question about schedules and, retentions

2008-11-11 17:55:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Antw.: Re: question about schedules and, retentions
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:53:14 -0500
Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>  wrote:

> Carlo Maesen wrote:
>> > I did read the bacula manual but, I have some questions about schedules.
>> > I creat the following schedule:
>> > Schedule {
>> >   Name = aca-cycle
>> >   Run = Level=Incremental Pool=aca mon-thu at 22:00
>> >   Run = Level=Full Pool=aca 1st-4th sat at 22:00
>> > }
>> >
>> > I backup one client according this schedule, but each different run has
>> > also a different file and job retention. (Incr = 4 weeks, Full = 1 year)
>> > Do I have to create 2 different clients and jobs, one for the incemental
>> > backup and one for the full ?
>> > Because the file and job retenion is defined in the client-directive.
>
> If you actually need the job-specific retention times you are in
> trouble...
>
> An incremental can only be based on the latest full backup for the
> same job, and a job is defined by the unique combination of client and
> fileset.
>
> The better approach is to use distinct pools for full, differential,
> and incremental backups, where each pool has its own retention settings.
>
> When a job is purged from a pool volume, the accompanying file and job
> data is also removed.
>
> Typically, you'll keep the full backup longest, so in essence, the job
>   and file retentions apply to full backups only, if they are longer
> than the retention times of the partial backup pools retention times.
>
> This, typically, is exactly what is needed - complete control when
> restoring from recent backups, and less control but also less database
> use for the long-term storage.
>
> Arno

If I could chime in here... different retention times for incrementals
and fulls sounds reasonable on it's face, but IMHO is likely to bite you
eventually... what you're doing with this technique is purging the data
that changes the most more often.  Sometimes that's helpful but it
sacrifices flexibility when a file changes a lot but you don't know when
somebody messed it up, or you don't discover that it was messed up until
after you've expired that differential/incremenatl.  Also, the space
required to keep all those incrementals is likely a lot less than the
space required to keep the fulls so you might as well keep both.

Your mileage may vary... I'm sure there's some reason to use different
retention times like perhaps auditors, but I've heard they really want
stuff saved on special WORM media now anyhow.

    Bob