Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Antw.: Re: question about schedules and, retentions

2008-11-11 18:25:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Antw.: Re: question about schedules and, retentions
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:22:39 -0800
Bob Hetzel wrote:
> Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>  wrote:

>> If you actually need the job-specific retention times you are in
>> trouble...
>>
>> An incremental can only be based on the latest full backup for the
>> same job, and a job is defined by the unique combination of client and
>> fileset.
>>
>> The better approach is to use distinct pools for full, differential,
>> and incremental backups, where each pool has its own retention settings.
>>
>> When a job is purged from a pool volume, the accompanying file and job
>> data is also removed.
>>
>> Typically, you'll keep the full backup longest, so in essence, the job
>>   and file retentions apply to full backups only, if they are longer
>> than the retention times of the partial backup pools retention times.
>>
>> This, typically, is exactly what is needed - complete control when
>> restoring from recent backups, and less control but also less database
>> use for the long-term storage.
>>
>> Arno
>>

> If I could chime in here... different retention times for incrementals
> and fulls sounds reasonable on it's face, but IMHO is likely to bite you
> eventually... what you're doing with this technique is purging the data
> that changes the most more often.  Sometimes that's helpful but it
> sacrifices flexibility when a file changes a lot but you don't know when
> somebody messed it up, or you don't discover that it was messed up until
> after you've expired that differential/incremenatl.  Also, the space
> required to keep all those incrementals is likely a lot less than the
> space required to keep the fulls so you might as well keep both.

What you describe can be a very valid point - but it's something you
wouldn't want to address with a backup system in the first place. If you
need access to every single change to a file, ever, you need a version
control system, such as Subversion, CVS, or any number of commercial
offerings. These products are designed to do exactly what you describe.

These systems are designed primarily for software projects, but there
are similar products available for other kinds of documents, too.

So I think Arno is right - if you really do have to go back to a backup
from 9 months ago, it really shouldn't matter whether it's from 9 months
and two days or 8 months and 10 days ago. Worse comes to worse, you can
always use two full backups to interpolate between the months.

That's why I don't keep incrementals longer than the most recent
differential backup, and differentials no longer than the last full backup.