Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Looking for a better setup

2008-11-11 01:01:39
Subject: [Bacula-users] Looking for a better setup
From: "junior.listas" <junior.listas AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:58:49 -0200
Hi all;
I'm using bacula for a long time, but I always use the same
configuration on all of my costumers: Full diary backups.

..and here my problems start...

first of all, my diary backup take a long time, almost 8 hours, and it
generates a very huge load in the servers... this "default costumers"
servers are almost all  IBM quad xeon, 5g ram, raid 5 ( sata or sas );
with samba pdc, mail ( imap, smtp ), webmail , bacula with mysql  and a
single IBM LTO3.  Lets take an example: a costumer with 600 gb of data.

1) mysql tables became huge ( each backup adds a million and six
hundred thousand lines ), so i split the configuration into 2 daemons
with 2 different bases, one for mon,tue,wed and other for thu,fri( and
one 3th for monthly bkps ) ; because between a backup starts, delete old
lines and start add newest lines take 45 mins; just to re-create the
catalog, before restore anything it takes 1 hour.

2) All costumers just change the "day tape" at the end of the day, and
goes home, we dont have an "backup operator", so, the backuo must use
just one tape per day, and the worst of all, the amount of data is
bigger than +/- 480gb and doesnt fit in just one tape.

I see in the list lots of advanced backups with fulls and differentials
( i dont like incremental ) mixed, and i looking for something that help
me to solve this.

Thanks for help.

Jc Júnior