Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Looking for a better setup

2008-11-12 10:58:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Looking for a better setup
From: James Cort <james.cort AT u4eatech DOT com>
To: "junior.listas" <junior.listas AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:56:05 +0000
junior.listas wrote:
> 1) mysql tables became huge ( each backup adds a million and six
> hundred thousand lines ), so i split the configuration into 2 daemons
> with 2 different bases, one for mon,tue,wed and other for thu,fri( and
> one 3th for monthly bkps ) ; because between a backup starts, delete old
> lines and start add newest lines take 45 mins; just to re-create the
> catalog, before restore anything it takes 1 hour.

I have a similar problem with postgres; the catalog database is now so
large that restoring it from a pg_dump backup takes 3-4 hours.  This is
before you account for the length of time taken to read it from the tape.

In a DR scenario, that's 3-4 hours sitting there twiddling your thumbs
waiting for the catalog to come back so you can do some useful restores.

My solution so far has been to script a database sync and LVM snapshot
of the volume on which the database resides, and then backup the snapshot.

In theory at least, restoring the snapshot should give me the underlying
files back and it's undergone no worse than a system crash.  Provided
things like wal_sync are enabled, everything should be OK.

All my testing indicates that this should work but I'm a little nervous
as it's far from a properly supported solution.

James.

--
James Cort

IT Manager