Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Problem with 53c1030 scsi card and a hp 1/8 g2 autochanger.

2008-11-09 08:30:02
Subject: [Bacula-users] Problem with 53c1030 scsi card and a hp 1/8 g2 autochanger.
From: "Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa" <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:57:33 +1930
Hi!

I know this is not a bacula issue, because it is hardware/driver
related, but I think maybe there are some other persons with this same
problem.

I have a LSI Logic 53c1030-based HP scsi controller, installed in a
DL-580 G5 server, and connected to a HP 1/8 G2 with Ultrium LTO-3 tape
drive.

----- First, some background info:

Initially they gave me VMWare virtual machine to configure the backup
system, it worked *almost* find, except that the "fill" btape command
failed the verification, so I just tried again (using a different pair
of tapes), and it succeeded.  Then, we saw the network was too slow
(~5MB/s), and the servers we needed to backup were not virtual
servers, so the we decided to move the backup system into a real
server.

Then they gave me and old server, with an smartarray controller, we
connected the tape drive, and I noted the tape drive had no scsi
terminator, so I asked for one and connected it.  My first question:
do you think the lack of scsi terminator could be the cause of the
"fill command" failing?

The smartarray controller only was able to detect the tape drive, no
autochanger, then reading some info, I found that the smart array
controllers (cciss) doesn't support more than 1 lun.

----- Back to the current setup:

Then they gave the G5 server, with the LSI Logic 53c1030 scsi
controller (mptspi driver)... but even though the LSI Controller BIOS
sees both the Tape drive and the Tape loader, the OS doesn't.
Furthermore, I see some "Domain Validation" errors on the system
startup, and the OS only sees the tape drive, and no autochanger.

Kernel version: 2.6.18 (Debian etch), also tried: 2.6.24 (Debian
etch-nhalf) and 2.6.27.4 (vanilla): same result.

Any ideas?

Ildefonso Camargo