Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula and Windows Tape Driver

2008-11-09 14:51:50
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula and Windows Tape Driver
From: Ricardo Duarte <rjtd21 AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:47:59 +0000
Dear All,

I currently have a Dell Tape Library (TL2000) connected to a Windows 2003 server via SCSI.
I'm using NTBackup to backup our Exchange servers, and I really don't want to drop it for now. I trust it more for that kind of backups.
But I still want to use Bacula to backup all the other services like MySQL, Apaches, user accounts, System States, Filesystems... on our mixed environment.
I read on the Bacula documentation the following:

"... Bacula is known to work perfectly well with SCSI tape drivers on FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, and Windows machines, and it may work on other *nix machines, but we have not tested it..."

>>From this phrase, it seems to me that it is possible to use my Tape Library connected to my Windows server for bacula backups. And it even says "perfectly well".
I'm excited. That would be the perfect setup for me.
So my question is: can I really use my tape connected to Windows, on Bacula? If so, how can I do it? Should I install "storage daemon" on Windows? Is it stable?

Thanks,
Ricardo