Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Moving from Tape to DVD

2008-11-07 15:17:51
Subject: [Bacula-users] Moving from Tape to DVD
From: "Jari Fredriksson" <jarif AT iki DOT fi>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 22:14:29 +0200

I just bought a Plextor DVD-writer, 100 DVD-RW disks, and a bag for them.

Now wondering best practises with DVD backups.

My first backup is running, so configuration seems to be ok. However, I did not
set "Maximum Part Size". Should I? I see often used 800M as that. What good
does it bring?

If the spool file is bigger than free space, that part will stay on harddisk?
No way, I guess bacula does not create bigger parts than the free space on
current media, right?

What other gotchas there might be?

My bacula-sd contains

Device {
  Name = "DVD_RW"                    #
  Media Type = "DVD+RW"
  Device Type = DVD
  Archive Device = /dev/hdc
  Requires Mount = Yes;
  Automatic Mount = Yes;              # when device opened, read it
  Offline On Unmount = Yes;
  Mount Point = /mnt/dvd
  Mount Command = "/bin/mount -t iso9660 -o ro %a %m"       # mount as Read
Only to save DVD+RW from counting as written. Bacula still writes fine.
  Unmount Command = "/bin/umount %m"
  Write Part Command = "/etc/bacula/scripts/dvd-handler %a write %e %v"
  Free Space Command = "/etc/bacula/scripts/dvd-handler %a free"
  Always Open = yes;
  Removable Media = yes;
  Random Access = yes;
  Spool directory = /usr/local/srv/backup ;
  Maximum Spool Size = 20GB
  Maximum Job Spool Size = 10GB
}

bacula-dir contains

# Definition of DVD+RW storage device
Storage {
  Name = DVDRW-Drive
  Address = wellington.lan.dyn-o-saur.com # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "xxx"    # password for Storage daemon
  Device = "DVD_RW"              # must be same as Device in Storage daemon
  Media Type = "DVD+RW"    # must be same as MediaType in Storage daemon
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1       # Only one job must be allowed to write to
DVD
}

Any thoughts?