Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Question about tape labels

2008-11-07 12:08:47
Subject: [Bacula-users] Question about tape labels
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:04:47 -0800 (PST)
Folks,

  I have setup bacula to automatic label the tapes, so when I do "stat dir" I
get following output:

Level          Type     Pri  Scheduled          Name               Volume
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp4-FullBackupToTape *unknown*
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp7-FullBackupToTape *unknown*
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp5-FullBackupToTape *unknown*
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp9-FullBackupToTape *unknown*
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp11-FullBackupToTape
*unknown*
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp18-FullBackupToTape
*unknown*

I was testing my script that checks for the tape in the drive
and makes sure that the tape is unlabeled, so I labeled the tape as "testvol".
After I was done testing, I removed the label from the tape.

When I ran "stat dir" command I noticed that bacula would use the tape labeled
"testvol":

Level          Type     Pri  Scheduled          Name               Volume
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp4-FullBackupToTape testvol
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp7-FullBackupToTape testvol
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp5-FullBackupToTape testvol
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp9-FullBackupToTape testvol
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp11-FullBackupToTape testvol
Full           Backup     5  07-Nov-08 20:00    lidp18-FullBackupToTape testvol

I deleted the volume from the database and "stat dir" displayed "*unknown*" as
tape label.

If bacula was configured to automatically label the tape why did it choose the
"testvol" as label?

If I had not deleted the volume what would have happened?
 1) Bacula would try to use "testvol" and fail because tape was not labeled.
 2) It would automatically label the tape based upon "Label Format".
 3) Ask me to insert tape with "testvol" label.

If the tape was labeled as "testvol" what would have happened?
 1) Bacula would have used "testvol" and continued with backup
 2) Ask me for the new unlabeled tape because it had wrong label

Thanks.

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com