Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Got EOF on tape after reboot

2008-11-06 13:08:42
Subject: [Bacula-users] Got EOF on tape after reboot
From: Carlo Maesen <c.maesen AT aca-it DOT be>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:12:23 +0100 (CET)
Hello,

I have installed bacula 2.4.3 from source.
Now I am testing the tape-unit with mt and btape.
The first time  I do "btape -c /usr/local/bacula/bin/bacula-sd.conf /dev/nst0",
the test runs properly.
Then I unload the tape "mt -f /dev/nst0 rewoff" . I reboot the server. I load
the same tape. At that moment I have the following error when I run the btape
test command:
#  btape -c /usr/local/bacula/bin/bacula-sd.conf /dev/nst0
Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
btape: butil.c:285 Using device: "/dev/nst0" for writing.
btape: btape.c:372 open device "lto4drive" (/dev/nst0): OK
*test

=== Write, rewind, and re-read test ===

I'm going to write 1000 records and an EOF
then write 1000 records and an EOF, then rewind,
and re-read the data to verify that it is correct.

This is an *essential* feature ...

btape: btape.c:831 Wrote 1000 blocks of 64412 bytes.
btape: btape.c:505 Wrote 1 EOF to "lto4drive" (/dev/nst0)
btape: btape.c:847 Wrote 1000 blocks of 64412 bytes.
btape: btape.c:505 Wrote 1 EOF to "lto4drive" (/dev/nst0)
btape: btape.c:856 Rewind OK.
1000 blocks re-read correctly.
Got EOF on tape.
06-Nov 15:30 btape JobId 0: Error: block.c:999 Read error on fd=3 at file:blk
1:0 on device "lto4drive" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Input/output error.
Got EOF on tape.
Got EOF on tape.

When I load a new tape, the test runs properly, until I reboot the server.
Ik tried the following without success:
mt -f /dev/nst0 defblksize 0

I am running Bacula 2.4.3 on CentOS 5.2.
Harware Server: SunFire X2100
TapeUnit: HP StorageWorks 1760.

This is my bacula-sd.conf:
#
# Default Bacula Storage Daemon Configuration file
#
#  For Bacula release 2.4.3 (10 October 2008) -- redhat
#
# You may need to change the name of your tape drive
#   on the "Archive Device" directive in the Device
#   resource.  If you change the Name and/or the
#   "Media Type" in the Device resource, please ensure
#   that dird.conf has corresponding changes.
#

Storage {                             # definition of myself
  Name = itshas-sv11-sd
  SDPort = 9103                  # Director's port
  WorkingDirectory = "/usr/local/bacula/"
  Pid Directory = "/usr/local/bacula/bin/working"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
}

#
# List Directors who are permitted to contact Storage daemon
#
Director {
  Name = itshas-sv11-dir
  Password = "xxx"
}

#
# Restricted Director, used by tray-monitor to get the
#   status of the storage daemon
#
Director {
  Name = itshas-sv11-mon
  Password = "xxx"
  Monitor = yes
}

#
# Devices supported by this Storage daemon
# To connect, the Director's bacula-dir.conf must have the
#  same Name and MediaType.
#

#
# A Linux or Solaris tape drive
#
Device {
 Name = lto4drive
 Media Type = LTO-4
 Archive Device = /dev/nst0
 AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
 AlwaysOpen = no;
 RemovableMedia = yes;
 RandomAccess = no;
 Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
}

#
# Send all messages to the Director,
# mount messages also are sent to the email address
#
Messages {
  Name = Standard
  director = itshas-sv11-dir = all
}

There is no logging in the messages-file.