Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Disk backup: how to delete purged files on disk?

2008-10-20 12:05:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Disk backup: how to delete purged files on disk?
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:02:39 -0700
John Drescher wrote:
>> I am learning how to use bacula to back up to external hard disks.
>> Everything works beautifully, but I notice that after a volume is purged
>> or pruned, it gets status "Recycled" and the actual file on disk stays.
>> That looks like perfect behavior for a tape backup, but for a hard disk
>> backup, I would like to be able to completely delete the volume from the
>> database, and also delete the corresponding file on the hard disk so it
>> no longer takes up space.
>>

> Bacula does not have this feature. I would just limit the disk volumes
> to a few GB and at the proper time the disk volumes will be reused.
>
> John

That might well be a good solution, and address a couple other things,
too. I suppose I have been too used to tar-style backups, where each
backup ended up in a separate file. But you are right, it doesn't have
to be organized that way.

Do you by any chance have a sample bacula-dir.conf that would illustrate
how this would work?

What would be a good choice for the volume limit? I am backing up a
total of seven machines; the largest is a 70 GB backup (full), the
smallest is less than 1 GB. I would like to keep them all in the same
pool because I quite frequently add or remove machines, and don't want
to have to reorganize the pools all the time.

A second question I was going to post in a separate thread, but now it
seems related: I have two external USB/eSATA drives, and can't figure
out how to get bacula to rotate them on a weekly basis so I can take one
of them off site.

Kevin