Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Reducing the size of the database.

2008-10-20 12:38:53
Subject: [Bacula-users] Reducing the size of the database.
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:33:56 -0700 (PDT)
This is probably a question for a PostgreSQL group, but I though users using
bacula may have come across this problem.

I am using PostgreSQL for the database, last week when I checked, my database
size was 10GB. I removed one month worth of volumes from the bacula database
and ran dbcheck command. It deleted about 40,000 rows from the database, but
the database size was still 10GB. Next, I ran postgresql vacuumdb (vacuumdb -q
-d bacula -z -f)command to reclaim the space used by deleted rows, but the
database size is still 10GB. How do I reduce the size of the database?

I also backup the catalog every night using pgdump command. Before I deleted
the 40,000 rows the backup file size was 800MB, after deleting 40,000 rows the
backup file size is still 800MB.

# df -h /baculaDB
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-baculaDB
                      99G   11G   83G  12% /baculaDB

bacula=# select pg_database.datname,
pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size(pg_database.datname)) as size from pg_database;
 datname  |  size
template1 | 4272 kB
template0 | 4272 kB
postgres  | 4272 kB