Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with huge backup - possible bug

2008-10-16 12:28:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with huge backup - possible bug
From: "T. Horsnell" <tsh AT mrc-lmb.cam.ac DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:40:16 +0100
Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,

>>>Yes, that is true in this case. But is this making any difference ?? With
>>>running full backup there shouldn't be any next job upgraded to full prior to
>>>finish of first one.
>>>

>>The reason I ask is when the next backup is scheduled to begin if the
>>previous full is not completed the next backup will be upgraded to a
>>full. There has been some discussion of this problem on the list. I am
>>not sure of the solution to this but I will try to check the archives.
>

>  From my memory: One user implemented a small run before job script
> that checks if a corresponding full for the current job is running and
> returns 1 if that's the case, thus effectively canceling the newly
> scheduled job.
>
> In some future version, some directives will be available to prevent
> the outlined scenario. I forgot which directive names were discussed,
> though... and I don't think this is in the devel manual.
>
> Arno

I had this problem from the start. I ended up with a line in my
RunBefore script which disabled the backup job:

   echo "disable job=Job1" | /usr/local/bacula/bin/bconsole

This disables any further scheduling of Job1 but leaves the current one
running.

And in the RunAfter script I have
   echo "run job=BackupCatalog yes" | /usr/local/bacula/bin/bconsole
   echo "enable job=Job1" | /usr/local/bacula/bin/bconsole

The BackupCatalog job is set 'enabled=no' in bacula-dir.conf

I'm sure I saw some discussion on the devel list of upcoming facilities
which would disable a scheduled job if some other job was still running,
but I'm damned if I can find the relevant emails

Cheers,
Terry