Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] two drive autochanger and conflicting tape use

2008-10-10 14:35:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] two drive autochanger and conflicting tape use
From: Doug Neuhauser <doug AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:05:19 -0700
I am seeing the same problem.

I have a recently installed bacula system (v2.4.2) installed on ~ 150
Solaris and Linux computers, with a total of ~ 175 jobs that are scheduled
to be run at 18:30 every day.

* I am using the standard schedule to run daily incremental 6 days/week,
and either differential or full backups on the 7-th day at 18:30. Later in
the day, a full backup of the catalog is scheduled at a lower (higher
number) priority every day.

* I have one Solaris 10 system that runs both my single
storage daemon and director daemon as well as an fd daemon.

* My storage system is a Sun/Storagetek Sl500 library with 2 LTO3 drives,
both of which are set to AutoSelect = yes for use by the library.  All
jobs are configured to write the the library, which then selects the
appropriate drives.  I have 2 tape pools -- Incremental for Incremental
and Differential jobs, and Full for Full backup jobs.  All jobs are
configured with SpoolData = yes, and I have spooling enabled for the 2
tape drives.  I allow a total of 8 concurrent jobs to be run.

The problem that I am encountering is that I will have 8 incremental jobs
running, 4 assigned to each tape drive, but all jobs (and therefore both
tape drives) are trying to write to the same tape even though I have
multiple available tape drives assigned to the tape pool and in the
library.  When this happens, the 4 jobs assigned to the drive without the
tape will hang until the rest of the incremental jobs have finished
writing to the tape drive that has the tape mounted.  I then have to
manually release the tape from that drive and mount it in the other drive
to allow the the 4 hung jobs to finish.

My experience seems to indicate that if I have no tapes mounted in
the drives when the backups are scheduled that the system will select
2 incremental tapes, one for each drive.  However, if I have an
incremental tape and a full tape loaded in each drive, the system
will try to use the same tape in both drives.

Does anyone have a suggestion before I open a bacula bug report?  Thanks.

- Doug N